How We Tested
We recommend these products based on an intensive research process that's designed to cut through the noise and find the top products in this space. Guided by experts, we spend hours looking into the factors that matter, to bring you these selections.Click here for testing insights >
Whether you’re recovering from an injury or getting back to the gym after a long hiatus, it’s important to take care of your body. The human body is designed to heal and protect itself, but that doesn’t mean it can’t use a little help from time to time. Deep tissue massage can help loosen tight muscles, reduce soreness, and relieve pressure points. If you’re not keen on paying for weekly professional massages, consider a tool that will enable you to achieve the same results at home: a massage gun.
Massage guns use percussive therapy to deliver many of the same benefits you’d get from a professional massage. All massage guns are not created equal, however, so it’s important to educate yourself before you start shopping. Fortunately, we’ve done the work for you in selecting the best massage gun brand on the market. Below you’ll find reviews highlighting two of their top models.
The Benefits of Using a Deep Tissue Massage Gun
While massage therapy is nothing new, massage guns have really only been around since the early 2000s. They have become a favorite tool among professional athletes and bodybuilders but anyone who suffers from sore muscles or stiffness can benefit from them.
You may be familiar with vibratory massage wands, but massage guns utilize a different action altogether. Rather than vibrating, the head of the massage gun moves quickly back and forth to deliver what is known as “percussive therapy.” Percussive therapy offers many of the same benefits as professional massage by stimulating muscle contraction to relieve tension and pressure points.
Here are some of the benefits associated with massage guns:
- Releases tension and fluid deep in the muscles to provide relaxation.
- Increases circulation, allowing more oxygen and nutrients to reach the muscles.
- Encourages faster healing and improved flexibility.
- Helps release lactic acid buildup in the muscles after intense exercise.
- Stimulates the nerve receptors to improve mobility.
- Alleviates pain and constriction by breaking up scar tissue.
- Improves joint flexibility to increase range of motion.
As is true with any form of therapy, proper technique is required to reap the benefits of percussive therapy. Massage guns are by no means difficult to use, but there is some technique involved. Whatever massage gun you choose, be sure to read the instructions to learn how to use it properly.
Why Do I Need a Massage Gun?
Anyone can benefit from a massage gun, plain and simple. While they may be most beneficial for professional athletes, you can benefit from a massage gun if you’re recovering from an injury or if you struggle with muscle soreness, stiffness, or tightness.
Percussive therapy can help relieve tension in the muscles to improve flexibility and mobility, and it can relieve pain by breaking up scar tissue and reducing muscle constriction. Best of all, using a massage gun feels great and it can help you relax and relieve stress which could improve your sleep.
Why is Vybe the Best Brand?
When it comes to massage guns, it helps to have some variety – everyone has their own preferences when it comes to speed, power, and portability. Vybe offers different models across wide pricing spectrum, making it easy for customers to find the model that fits their needs.
All of Vybe’s massage guns are durably and thoughtfully made, designed to deliver powerful percussive therapy. Every model comes with a rechargeable battery, at least three interchangeable massage heads, and variable speeds so you can customize your massage experience.
The Vybe brand sought to create a percussive massage gun that rivals the top brands on the market in quality but not in price. Vybe massage guns are made with the same level of quality, performance, and power as their more costly competitors at a fraction of the price.
What to Consider When Shopping for Deep Tissue Massage Guns
There are many different massage guns on the market, and they all look fairly similar, so how do you choose? While it may be tempting to shop by price, you run the risk of ending up with a massage gun that doesn’t have enough power to really get the job done. Or it might wear out quickly and end up being a waste of your hard-earned money.
Here are some factors to consider when shopping for a massage gun:
- Power – The most important things to look for in a massage gun are speed and power. Most models have variable speed settings so you can choose the appropriate intensity.
- Motion – Vibration and percussion are two very different things with two different sets of benefits. Which you choose is a matter of preference, but percussive massage guns are generally more effective than vibratory massage wands.
- Battery Life – The longer the battery life, the better. Pay attention to the difference between cordless models with rechargeable batteries and massage guns that must be plugged in.
- Portability – If you want to travel with your massage gun or take it to events, look for one that is easy to carry. Ideally, your massage gun should come with a carrying case to make it easy.
- Attachments – Most massage guns come with interchangeable heads you can use to massage specific muscles. You don’t need too many of them but if you’re planning to use the massage gun for a specific purpose, make sure you choose a model with the appropriate attachments.
- Price – You don’t want to skimp on a massage gun, but you don’t necessarily have to spend a small fortune. Some brands like Vybe have a pricier Pro model and a more cost-effective option.
While it may be a matter of personal preference which brand of massage gun is truly “best,” we love the Vybe brand.