Cheap Home Workout Equipment That Won’t Break The Bank
Nothing throws a wrench in your workout routine like a global pandemic, right? Whether you find yourself working from home or you’re simply trying to stay safe by limiting your time in public, having a home gym is essential.
Your home gym may not have all the amenities of your local fitness center, but that’s okay! Sure, a sauna might be a nice way to relax, but you don’t need it for a great workout. All you really need is a few basic pieces of equipment or workout gear to get started.
Not only can you create a home gym for less than the cost of an annual gym membership, but you can customize your experience with free online training sessions and workout classes.
If you want to get a great workout at home without breaking the bank, here’s a quick list of some of Amazon’s best-selling home workout equipment:
Exercise bands are a staple for any home gym. They use your own bodyweight or band tension to create resistance, making them a gentler option than free weights or machines. You can use resistance bands to exercise just about any muscle group and you can easily control the intensity of the exercise by changing the resistance on the band.
Made of professional-grade latex rubber, these durable exercise bands promise to maintain their stretch from the first to last rep.
- Customizable resistance. Each set of URBNFit Fitness Bands comes with 3 exercise bands. Each band comes in a different color with a different level of resistance (light, medium, heavy) to help you customize your workout according to your desired intensity.
- Versatile use. Ideal for home workouts, these resistance bands can be used for sports, fitness, and physical therapy. With five resistance levels, these bands can easily be incorporated into any home workout routine for both novice and experienced individuals.
- Superior quality. These heavy-duty exercise loop bands are made from high-quality latex rubber. Each band measures 60 inches (5 feet) long and 6 inches wide.
What you get: This set includes three exercise bands in three different colors, each with a different level of resistance. You’ll also receive a door anchor and both a paper and digital workout guide.
Occlusion training involves restricting blood flow to the veins of a working muscle with the goal of increasing gains in size and strength. Wearing occlusion bands during your workout can help you achieve this goal.
These extra-wide bands are uniquely designed to help you reach optimal occlusion.
- Extra-wide. These extra-thick bands measure 2 inches wide and 2.5mm thick and they deliver a medium level of elasticity. Sold in a pair of two, you can use them on both legs or both arms at the same time during your workout.
- Induce hypertrophy. These blood flow restriction (BFR) bands reduce oxygen supply to the muscles to induce hypertrophy and boost muscle growth.
- Comfortable. Designed with an easy on/off locking mechanism and made from durable elastic, these BFR bands are comfortable and effective. Their 2-inch width is optimal for BFR training and they have an elastic loop that holds the slack in place.
What you get: When you purchase this set of BRF bands, you’ll receive two extra-wide, extra-thick occlusion bands equipped with an easy on/off locking mechanism.
Whether you’re stretching or actively performing yoga, a decent yoga mat is a must-have. They provide the right degree of cushion to protect your joints from hard surfaces while also providing a little bit of grip for your feet and body.
This extra thick yoga mat is all you need for all of your at home floor workouts.
- Extra long. You’ll never have an issue overstepping your yoga mat with this extra-long model measuring 71 inches long and 24 inches wide. Made from ½-inch high-density foam material, this mat comfortably cushions your hips, spine, knees, and elbows from hard floors.
- Slip resistant. This all-purpose yoga mat features double-sided non-slip resistance. With this non-slip advantage, your yoga mat stays put to help you improve balance and avoid injury. Plus, the moisture-resistant material makes it easy to wash with soap and water.
- Easy transport. Whether you’re traveling to the yoga studio or storing your yoga mat between uses, this model rolls up for easy storage. It offers a compact and lightweight design along with an included yoga mat strap for easy transport.
What you get: Choose from seven different colors in this BalanceFrom yoga mat and receive a yoga mat strap with each purchase. All BalanceFrom products are covered by a 2-year warranty and customer satisfaction guarantee.
Yoga is great for home workouts but it can take time to learn all the different poses. You can find free videos online to learn the basics, but you may prefer to create your own workout using the poses that suit you best. An instructional yoga mat can help.
Printed with 70 different yoga poses, this mat is what every beginner yogi needs.
- Instructional. This lightweight yoga mat measures 24 inches wide and 68 inches long, making it ideal for yoga and other home workouts. What makes it unique is that it is printed with 70 different yoga poses to help you create a custom workout.
- Non-slip surface. Not only is this yoga mat made from lightweight and non-toxic materials, but it has a grippy, non-slip surface that repels sweat. You’ll never have to worry about slipping on this mat and it will always stay where you put it.
- Durable. This yoga mat features a durable, long-lasting construction made with 5mm of thick, shock-absorbing cushioning for optimal comfort.
What you get: Choose from six different colors and receive a high-quality, eco-friendly yoga mat made from non-toxic materials.
When exercise loops don’t provide enough tension for you to get the workout you want, heavy-duty resistance bands might be the way to go. With a few attachments you can achieve a full-body workout without having to purchase free weights.
With up to 105lbs of resistance, these versatile bands are sure to work out your entire body.
- Adjustable resistance. Create a custom workout with this set of 5 exercise bands. Ranging from 5 pounds to 35 pounds of resistance, these bands can be used individually or combined to deliver a total of up to 105 pounds of resistance.
- Excellent quality. Made in the USA and rigorously tested for safety and quality, these exercise bands are designed to be snap-, stretch-, and sweat-resistant. They are made from top-grade 100% Malaysian latex with heavy-duty parts.
- Easy to transport. Take your resistance bands set wherever you need to go with the handy waterproof carry bag. The bands and accessories themselves are lightweight but durable and can be adapted for a variety of different workouts.
What you get: This set of resistance bands from Tribe includes 5 color-coded resistance tube bands with a carabiner on each end. You’ll also receive 2 deluxe cushioned handles, 1 door anchor, 2 ankle straps, and a waterproof carry bag as well as a downloadable exercise e-book.
Also known as physioballs or fitness balls, exercise balls make a great addition to the home gym. They can be used for stretching, core exercises, or to up the intensity of your strength training workout. An exercise ball is a great way to work your back and core muscles at home.
Available in 11 colors and five sizes, this exercise ball is the perfect addition to your home gym.
- High quality. Constructed from high-quality PVC material, this anti-burst exercise ball can handle up to 600 pounds of weight. Plus, the surface is coated in a non-slip gaze for safety.
- Versatile use. Ideal for physical therapy, pilates, and home workouts, this exercise ball comes in a variety of colors and sizes. It can also be used to relieve back pain and improve posture.
- Easy to use. With the included hand pump, you can have your exercise ball inflated in a matter of minutes. Use the included workout guide for ideas on how to use it.
What you get: Your URBNFit exercise ball will be delivered in a compact package complete with a hand pump and nozzle for inflation.
Dumbbells are an essential part of any home workout equipment set.
These vinyl-coated dumbbells come in a wide range of colors and weights to complete your home gym.
- Comfortable. Designed with a no-slip grip, these dumbbells are comfortable and easy to use. They are available in lightweight options from 1 to 10 pounds for smaller hands as well as heavier options from 15 to 20 pounds for more intense workouts.
- Durable. Each dumbbell is coated with color-coded vinyl to protect against wear and tear while also making them more comfortable to use.
- High-quality. These are professional-grade weights designed for use in commercial gyms where they might be used 100 times per day. The vinyl coating makes them easy to grip and ensures long-term durability.
What you get: Sold in sets of 2, these vinyl-coated dumbbells are available in weights ranging from 1 to 20 pounds. They are color-coded and clearly marked for easy weight identification.
If you’re going to create a home workout space, it’s important to make it safe. Padded floor mats are a great way to improve your home gym and they have the dual benefit of cushioning your feet and protecting against slips and falls.
These interlocking floor mats are a quick and easy way to customize your home gym.
- Protects floors. These durable, textured, non-skid exercise mats protect your floors while creating a more comfortable workout space in your home.
- High quality. Lightweight but durable, these exercise mats are made from high-density EVA foam free from toxic phthalates. Choose from ½-inch, ¾-inch, or 1-inch thickness.
- Versatile uses. Perfect for home gyms, these exercise mats are easy to assemble and can be used for other purposes such as garages or child’s play areas. Choose from three different colors and sets of different sizes to cover 24 up to 144 square feet.
What you get: This set of exercise mats comes with six 24-by-24-inch tiles and 12 end borders to help you achieve a polished look, covering a total of 24 square feet. You can buy larger sets to cover up to 144 square feet.
If you’re looking for a way to improve the comfort of your home gym but you don’t want to go the way of permanent floor covering, an exercise mat might be the way to go. A long, wide mat with a non-slip surface can give you the grip you need during workouts with portable convenience.
This stretching and mobility mat is ideal for foam rolling, pilates, yoga, and floor workouts.
- Non-slip surface. Whether you’re stretching, foam rolling, or doing a floor workout, this exercise mat will give you the grip you need to stay safe. The width and length is designed specifically with foam rolling in mind.
- Textured bottom. Not only does this mat offer a non-slip surface, but it has a textured bottom to help keep the mat in place during your workout. It will stay where you put it, even in hot yoga classes.
- Padded. Sweat-resistant and perfectly padded, this exercise mat keeps you comfortable during your workouts. It is just thick enough to provide a little cushion without impeding your balance.
What you get: This premium non-slip exercise mat measures a generous 24 inches wide by 68 inches long and comes with a risk-free satisfaction guarantee.
Tips for Buying Cheap Home Workout Equipment
If you’re already an avid gym-goer or you’re in a great routine for working out, buying home workout gear is a no-brainer. For those who are just getting started or only in the “thinking about it” phase of working out, slow your roll before investing in expensive weight sets or heavy workout machines. Buying a fancy exercise bike won’t help you if you don’t already have a few healthy habits in place so think before you shop!
When shopping for home workout equipment, it’s a good idea to stick to the familiar. If you’re used to using dumbbells or resistance bands, start there! If you prefer cardio exercise, a stationary bike might be a better choice. Find something you know you’ll use and get into a good routine before expanding your home gym.
It’s also not a bad idea to come up with a budget for your home gym. Think about how much you’re spending (or would spend) on a gym membership and how much you’d like to save. When shopping for equipment, keep your budget in mind but pay attention to quality as well – skimping might save you a few dollars now, but you may end up having to buy a replacement sooner than you’d like. Shop smart for long-term savings.
Finally, don’t be seduced by products that promise a quick fix. Avoid products that work only a single muscle group – you’d be better off with something versatile like an exercise ball you can use for abs, balance, and strength training.
Final Thoughts on Cheap Home Workout Equipment
You don’t need a lot of expensive, heavy equipment to have a great home gym. All you need are a few versatile pieces that can help you create a custom workout that suits your needs. You’d be surprised what you can accomplish with a few resistance bands, free weights, and an exercise ball!
While you’re working out, don’t forget that post-workout recovery is equally important. Here’s a list of recovery tools to get you started.